Govt pushes for adequate representation in BARC

MUMBAI: Don‘t mistake the alternative television ratings system to be under the total control of the private broadcasters, advertising agencies and the advertisers. The government is pushing for adequate representation inside BARC (Broadcast Audience Research Council), the new entity that will lay out the television audience measurement system in India.

BARC has been formed with the Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) having a 60 per cent stake and the remaining 40 per cent being shared equally between the Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI) and the Indian Society of Advertisers (ISA).

Prasar Bharati, the public broadcaster, was to benefit from the formation of BARC as the TV ratings coverage would have spread across wider geographies. Now the government also wants DAVP (Directorate of Advertising and Publicity) , which channelises all advertising spends made by the government, to have some voice.

In a meeting on 4 September called by the government and attended by the IBF, the AAAI and the ISA members, the government has said that it wanted adequate representation. "The Information and Broadcasting ministry asked us what steps were being taken to include the Prasar Bharati and the DAVP (in BARC).They want adequate representation from Prasar Bharati and DAVP to have adequate representation in BARC to look after the Government‘s interest. We have heard the suggestions and will consider them," AAAI president and Leo Burnett chairman and CEO of India subcontinent Arvind Sharma told

The meeting was chaired by I&B ministry secretary Uday Kumar Verma.

The three bodies were also asked to nominate an advisory committee on BARC by the end of next week .

"The push has been to move BARC forward. The secretary has asked us (AAAI, IBF and ISA) to nominate a high powered committee whose role will be to guide and advise (on BARC) by the end of next week. We as BARC need to identify and concur on the names," said Sharma.

During the meeting, the secretary also referred to the Amit Mitra Committee report which suggested that statisticians, sociologists and demographers should form part of the technical committee.

Latest Reads
NBA partners Jabong to operate official online store

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Jabong, India’s fashion and lifestyle e-commerce platform – today announced a multiyear partnership extension that will provide fans access to authentic NBA merchandise in more than 730 cities across India.

MAM Marketing Brands
Coca-Cola launches Maaza Gold

MUMBAI: Coca-Cola India has announced the launch of 'Maaza Gold', a premium mango drink made from the choicest of mangoes.

MAM Marketing Brands
Cipla launches TVC for ActivKids Immuno Boosters

MUMBAI: Mothers’ concern for their children’s health goes to the extent of restricting them from indulging at times. Capturing one of these many concerns, Cipla has released a new TVC for its kids' immunity supplement ActivKids Immuno Boosters.

MAM Marketing MAM
Cannes Lions awards lifetime achievement to Piyush & Prasoon Pandey

MUMBAI: Ogilvy South Asia executive chairman and creative director Piyush Pandey and film director Prasoon Pandey will both be honoured with the Cannes Lions’ Lifetime Achievement Award, the Lion of St Mark.

MAM Marketing Brands
Expedia asks you to try it out

MUMBAI: Online travel agency, Expedia has launched its new ad campaign for Indian consumers themed- What a pleasant surprise! The ad conceptualised by Taproot Dentsu, the creative agency from Dentsu Aegis Network, aims to acquire new shoppers and customers to the site and get them to try Expedia.

MAM Marketing MAM
India is 18-24 months away from an inflection point: Ashish Bhasin

Today’s advertisers aren’t short of options to choose from through which they can get a message across. But the difficult task at hand is to identify the one that allows optimisation of reach and viewership.

MAM Marketing MAM
Horlicks urges women to #StandStrong

MUMBAI: Women’s Horlicks has introduced its latest campaign featuring the new face of the brand, Taapsee Pannu. The initiative seeks to bring to the fore the issue of bone health among women in India and envisions to make them #StandStrong in following their passions.

MAM Marketing MAM
Savlon shows reality of mother's love

Savlon, a health and hygiene brand from the house of ITC has launched a campaign ‘Bharosa Maa Sa’. It is a heartfelt tribute to the healing touch of mothers highlighting a simple moment of truth that every individual relates to.

MAM Marketing MAM
Mindshare appoints M K Machaiah as chief innovation officer

MUMBAI: India’s largest full service media agency, Mindshare, a part of GroupM has appointed MK Machaiah, known as Mac, as chief innovation officer for South Asia.

MAM Media and Advertising People

Latest News

Load More

Sign up for our Newsletter

subscribe for latest stories