MUMBAI: Doordarshan – a public broadcaster started its service in the year 1959 primarily to cater the farmers and the whole agriculture sector in the country. Since its inception, Doordarshan has been fulfilling its mandate religiously. Doordarshan has recognized as its duty to keep the farmers abreast of the changes in the agriculture field, inform them latest technologies and advancements being imbibed in the sector, guiding farmers and disseminating information and innovations to yield more crops, development of allied sectors like fisheries, animal husbandry & dairy development, poultry & Sericulture etc.
Right from 1959 and till the year 2008, no individual or organization ever thought of honoring these entrepreneurs through a TV Channel. Needless to say that agriculture is a prime sector in India responsible for country’s economic growth.
However, DD Sahyadri understood this lacuna and started honoring the farmers’ fraternity in various categories since 2008. This year, DD Sahyadri will organise the 7th Doordarshan Sahyadri Krishi Awards function on Friday 7th February 2014 at 3.30 pm in the studio of Doordarshan Kendra, Worli, Mumbai under the auspices of Shri Mukesh Sharma, Additional Director General (West Zone), Doordarshan Kendra, Mumbai. The function will be attended by luminaries belonging to various fields of the society e.g. films, art & culture, education, scientists and farmers of Maharashtra.
The following farmers / entrepreneurs have been selected for these prestigious awards in eleven categories:
1. Shri. Dadarao Hatkar, Buldhana (Excellent Work in Water Management)
2. Shri. Madhukar Ghuge, Parbhani (Excellent Research Work in Agriculture)
33. Shri. Shekar Dinkar Patne, Satara (Excellent Innovative Work in Agriculture)
44. Shri. Rajesh vitthalrao Chopde, Akola (Excellent Work in Rural - Agricultural Processing field)
55. Shri. Ganesh Shankarrao Deshmukh, Satara. (Excellent Work in Animal Husbandry & Dairy
6. Smt. Prabhavati Janardan Ghogre, Ahmadnagar. (Excellent Work in Animal Husbandry & Dairy Development)
7. Shri. Rajesh Parab, Sindhudurg (Excellent Work in fisheries Development)
8. Shri. Kuldip Raut, Washim (Excellent Work in Flowers, Fruits & Vegetable Cultivation)
99. Shri. Mohan Tejrao Jagtap, Buldhana (Excellent Work in Flowers, Fruits & Vegetable Cultivation)
1010. Shri. Shankar dashrath Gaddekar, Gadchiroli (Excellent Work in Agriculture Allied Industries like,
Bee Keeping, sericulture, Varmi Culture, poultry, sheep and goat rearing, piggeries, agro tourism etc.)
These awardees were selected by a four member jury comprising experts in Agriculture and allied fields. They acquire years of hands-on experience and have spent their life in this sector.
- Dr. A.G. Sawant, Former, Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Kokan Agriculture University, Dapoli.
- Dr. S.D. More, Former Director, Marathwada Agriculture University, Parbhani.
- Smt. Rohini Bhosle, Deputy Director , Commissionrate of Agriculture Pune.
- Dr. A.T. Sherikar, Former Vice-Chancellor, Maharashtra Animal & Fisheries Science University, Nagpur.
- Dr. Vyankatrao Mayande, Ex. Vice chancellor, Panjabrao Agriculture University, Akola.