YouTube removed 7.85 mn videos last quarter

74.5 per cent of the videos were removed before any views


MUMBAI: According to Google’s YouTube community guidelines enforcement report, YouTube removed 7.85 million videos and 1.67 million channels in its last quarter.

The report wrote, “At YouTube, we work hard to maintain a safe and vibrant community. We have community guidelines that set the rules of the road for what we don’t allow on YouTube. For example, we do not allow pornography, incitement to violence, harassment, or hate speech.”

In the past year, YouTube faced increased criticism for pushing users towards content which would be misleading and would violate its policies on spam. In order to deal with that, the video sharing website removed videos and channels which violated the policies of the company.

YouTube explained that it will delete a channel if it receives three strikes in 90 days or if it has a single case of severe abuse like “pornography, incitement to violence, harassment, or hate speech, or violating guidelines (as is often the case with spam accounts).” When a channel is terminated, all of its videos are removed, the report added.

79.6 per cent of the channels removed were spam, misleading and scams, 12.6 per cent channels because of adult sexual content. “The majority of channel terminations are a result of accounts being dedicated to spam or adult sexual content in violation of our guidelines,” said the report.

Overall, 74.5 per cent of the videos were removed before any views and the other 25.5 per cent of the videos on the platform were removed after views. In this the majority 72.2 per cent of the videos were removed because they were spam, misleading and scams.

Latest Reads

Sunil Mittal advocates hiking minimum tariff, strategic content deals for ARPU growth

India’s telecom industry has been bleeding losses since more than a decade. The entry of Reliance Jio in the market has only made things even more challenging.

iWorld Telecom
Reliance Entertainment names Shibasish Sarkar as group CEO-content, digital and gaming

Anil Ambani-owned Reliance Entertainment has announced the elevation of Shibasish Sarkar as group CEO - content, digital and gaming.

iWorld Gaming
Twitter hosts ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival’s first-ever digital panel

As the literary world prepares for ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival 2019, the largest convention of writers, thinkers and cultural icons in India

iWorld Social Media
Punit Goenka on ZEE5's content play, TRAI tariff order and ZEEL's search for a strategic partner

The Subhash Chandra-owned media conglomerate Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL) reported robust growth in third quarter of FY 19, beating analysts’ expectations. Apart from the stellar growth in both domestic and international advertising revenue, ZEEL’s over-the-top (OTT) platform ZEE5...

iWorld Over The Top Services
Vodafone Idea board approves raising Rs 25K crore by rights issue

Vodafone Idea Limited has intimated the stock exchanges that its board of directors has considered and aprroved the offer and issue of fully paid-up and/or partly-paid up

iWorld Telecom
Amazon Prime Video launches the music album of Prime Original Series, Four More Shots Please!, with music by Mikey McCleary

Following the launch of two stand-out tracks from Prime Original Series Four More Shots Please!, Amazon Prime Video released the show’s original soundtrack album available exclusively on Prime Music.

iWorld Over The Top Services
Hungama Play announces a stellar line-up of the latest Hollywood blockbusters

Hungama Play, a premium video on demand platform owned by Hungama Digital Media, premiered a slew of the latest Hollywood blockbusters. Beginning with the latest and darkest chapter of The Conjuring Universe, The Nun was premiered on 21st January Hungama Play.

iWorld Over The Top Services
Google promises more transparency in online election ads

Google has vowed to take India specific initiatives aiming at transparency in political advertisements on its platform ahead of general elections in the country. The tech giant will provide details of advertisers as well as money spent on such ads.

iWorld Social Media
Trailer launch of Prime Original series, American Gods S2

We are excited to share with you the trailer for the next season of the Prime Original series, American Gods, which will be coming back to Prime Video on March 11, 2019.

iWorld Over The Top Services

Latest News

Load More

Sign up for our Newsletter

subscribe for latest stories