MUMBAI: Broadcast News, the newly-floated television company by Television Eighteen Ltd in association with Rajdeep Sardesai and Sameer Manchanda, has managed to lure away one of the key editorial professionals from the NDTV team, even as other journalists are expected to join the new entrant in the English news channel space.
NDTV senior special correspondent Bhupendra Chaubey will be hopping on board Broadcast News as chief political correspondent, heading the political bureau. He will be designing and presenting special political programmes. He had a five year long stint at NDTV. Before joining NDTV, Chaubey dabbled in documentary film making.
Others who are scheduled to join Broadcast News from NDTV include, anchor-cum-correspondent Anubha Bhonsle, business correspondents Sandeep Banerjee and Arijit Burman.
According to broadcast industry sources, the four of them have put in their papers at NDTV. Additionally, senior correspondent Suman Chakraborty is also likely to make a trek to Broadcast News.
As Broadcast News editor-in-chief Rajdeep Sradesai has time and again said, the proposed news venture's high point would be political news. Insiders say the slant is likely to be on views.
Though the name of the first channel from Broadcast News stable is yet to be finalised, a source close to the development said Indian Broadcast News or IBN is a name being toyed with.
Broadcast News is a venture that was set up earlier this year with TV 18 holding 74 per cent equity stake, while the remaining 26 per cent is distributed amongst senior people. The Raghav Bahl-promoted television Eighteen has announced that it plans to raise $50 million from international market for expansion and new products.