Television

Cabinet may discuss Star uplink case early next week

NEW DELHI / MUMBAI: The Indian Cabinet is likely to take up the uplinking issue and news channels' uplinking from India and their equity pattern early next week, according to government sources.

Government sources today told indiantelevision.com that the relevant file has reached the cabinet secretariat and would be taken up for discussion by the full Cabinet early next week.

It is also learnt that as a compromise formula, the government may cap the foreign direct investment in news channels uplinking from India at 26 per cent with the likelihood of making a provision that FIIs/NRIs/OCBs can bring in other 23 per cent of investment. This means that the Indian shareholding in such a news company would be 51 per cent or more.

However when indiantelevision.com attempted to get this confirmed from the information and broadcasting ministry late today evening, no official response could be elicited.

It is anyway certain that whether the government takes a stand on the uplinking issue and gives Star a permission to uplink from India or not, the Rupert Murdoch company would go ahead and have a news channel on air from 1 April.

Industry sources tell indiantelevision.com that as of the beginning of this week, Star India teams have been making presentations to advertisers with demo tapes of just what the look and feel of the new Star News channel is. As for the vexed question of the uplinking licence, the message going out is that 1 April there will definitely be a Star News beaming into Indian TV homes. Even if it means having to uplink out of Hong Kong as a stop gap.

On 31 March, Star's relationship with NDTV for providing content for Star News comes to an end.

Latest Reads

http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/mnx.jpg?itok=b--2gVnf
MNX launches Super League chatbot

No one can ignore India’s crazy love for cricket, including English movie channels. MNX, the new age Hollywood channel for young India launched the very innovative MNX Super League chatbot, an interactive avatar of its TV show ‘MNX Super League’ on Facebook.

Television TV Channels English Entertainment
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/porus.jpg?itok=cz1OH3uq
Porus reaches 10 Asian countries

MUMBAI: Porus is travelling internationally. The mythological show being aired on Sony Entertainment Television has made its entry in Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Brunei, Laos and Myanmar through JKN Global Media and in Indonesia with Soraya Intercine Films. Porus is now being watched in 10 Asian...

Television TV Channels GECs
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/MUNCH.jpg?itok=Q0kBzHw6
India News Manch - Modi Sarkar Kitni Asardaar? India News Conclave to Analyze Modi Government’s Four Years in Power

India News, known for its direct and unbiased brand of journalism, is all set to host a special conclave Manch – Modi Sarkar, Kitni Asardaar? (How Effective Has the Modi Government Been?) in New Delhi on Friday, May 25, 2018. The day-long event will present a comprehensive overview of the BJP...

Television TV Channels News Broadcasting
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/rekha.jpg?itok=ExfdDvbS
How relevant is the age old Lakshman Rekha in today’s times; questions &TV with Mitegi Lakshman Rekha!

Ravan’s abduction of Sita highlighted the consequences of crossing the ‘Lakshman Rekha’ for generations. However, with the talks of gender equality, women’s liberation and financial independence, amongst others, being the topic of global discussion, how relevant is this ‘Lakshman Rekha’ in today’s...

Television TV Channels GECs
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/anmol.jpg?itok=f-BJ33Wt
Zee Anmol most watched channel across genres

BENGALURU: Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (Zeel) free to air (FTA) Hindi GEC Zee Anmol has reached the realm that has been normally occupied by the Sun TV Network’s flagship Tamil GEC Sun TV or by one of the Hindi channels that has been airing the Indian Premier League. What is remarkable is...

Television TV Channels Viewership
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/Star%20Sports.jpg?itok=RfDxBBn0
Star India mulls adding VR to PKL 6

MUMBAI: Star India is taking the Indian Premier League (IPL) experience to other sports. After a phenomenal reception for using virtual reality (VR) in IPL 2018, it is diversifying into Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) season six.

Television TV Channels Sports
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/25/megha.jpg?itok=HUy8yJ6a
BTVI to leverage digital mediums for growth

MUMBAI: English business news channel BTVI is completing two years in August this year. The company was transformed from Bloomberg TV India after Bloomberg decided not to renew its deal with Business Broadcast News. BTVI got its COO Megha Tata in 2016 at the same time it got its new name. 

Television TV Channels News Broadcasting
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/24/zeetv_0.jpg?itok=Pu75zUWg
Zee TV the leader amongst GECs

As per the recently released BARC HSM weekly data (Urban + Rural) for week 20 ’18, Zee TV has claimed the top position in Hindi GEC space with 316640 impressions in HSM and 199155 impressions in urban markets and saw a robust growth across its primetime fiction shows. The channel continued to be a...

Television TV Channels GECs
http://www.indiantelevision.com/sites/drupal7.indiantelevision.co.in/files/styles/340x340/public/images/tv-images/2018/05/24/zeetv_0.jpg?itok=Pu75zUWg
Zee TV the leader amongst GECs

As per the recently released BARC HSM weekly data (Urban + Rural) for week 20 ’18, Zee TV has claimed the top position in Hindi GEC space with 316640 impressions in HSM and 199155 impressions in urban markets and saw a robust growth across its primetime fiction shows. The channel continued to be a...

Television TV Channels GECs

Latest News

Load More

Sign up for our Newsletter

subscribe for latest stories