New channel for news hungry Punjabis from Monday

Punjab Today, a 24 hour digital news channel hits the airwaves on Monday.

The new channel floated by STV Enterprises claims to be an attempt to bring Punjabis across India and those settled abroad closer by bringing news and events occurring in their home state in their mother tongue. STV chairman Jugal Jain says Punjab Today is just the first in line of a series of channels, which will be unleashed in the next six months. An Urdu channel for the state of Jammu and Kashmir is next on the cards. 

Jain says Punjab Today will provide what other Punjabi channels have not done so far - coverage of local news and programming. The target viewership is 15 million Punjabis in over 100 countries, with the ultimate aim of reaching every Punjabi household around the globe. The Punjab Today team comprises senior professionals with a background in journalism, reporting, advertising sales and television software production. Former Hindustan Times staffer Avinash Singh is the COO of the channel, which will air content that has 80 per cent of news related to Punjab and the rest 20 per cent will cover areas like Udham Singh Nagar, Haryana, Himachal, J&K and other places where Punjabis have a presence.

Punjab Today will also feature other news-based programmes, including regular industry, agriculture, finance, development, and sports related content. There will also be current affairs shows, investigative features, employment news and human interest stories. STV has its own set of state-of-the-art studios and other infrastructure in Delhi, Jalandhar, Chandigarh and Mumbai. The nerve centre of newsgathering for Punjab would be Jalandhar.

Latest Reads
Sony Sab strengthens primetime slot with 'Baavle Utaavle'

Sony Sab is all set to launch its new show, Baavle Utaavle, #Gufu Ki Visfotak Love Isstory, produced by Director’s Kut production house Rajan Shahi. The show will go on air on 18 February, every Monday to Friday at 10 pm.

Television TV Channels GECs
TV9 enters Hindi heartland with TV9 Bharatvarsh

TV9 News Network is all set to launch its national Hindi channel, TV9 Bharatvarsh, next month in Delhi. The channel is ready with its largest news studio in the country, which will use the best of AR and VR technologies, and BOT news tracker in its presentation.

Television TV Channels News Broadcasting
Tariff order implementation: Pay channels' connectivity drops ranging from 61% to 0.5% across genres

The ongoing flux in the broadcast sector due to the new TRAI tariff order implementation has had a significant impact on the connectivity of pay channels in the country. After the new regulatory framework kicked in on 1 February, pay channels’ connectivity witnessed a drop ranging from 61 per cent...

Television TV Channels Viewership
Pro Volleyball League attracts 14.3 mn viewers in week 1 on TV

The first leg of RuPay Pro Volleyball League (PVL) which happened in Kochi witnessed 14.3 million viewers sample the league on Sony Pictures Network (SPN) India.

Television TV Channels Sports
MTV associates with Brave Combat Federation for 'Brave 20'

MTV, India’s youth brand, is all set to bring the fight series MTV Brave 20 in association with the Brave Combat Federation presented by Mercury Sports Entertainment on 17 February at 9 pm.

Television TV Channels Music and Youth
Q3 2019: BAG Films Television and Radio Dhaamal profits up

The Anurradha Prasad-led BAG Films and Media Ltd (BAG Films) reported 38.1 per cent higher year-on-year (y-o-y) consolidated revenue for the quarter ended 31 December 2018 (Q3- 019, period or quarter, under review) at Rs 48.67 crore as compared to Rs 33.94 crore in the corresponding prior year...

Television TV Channels News Broadcasting
Comcast, Sony in the running for ZEEL stake?

In the latest financial results, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) MD and CEO Punit Goenka mentioned that the company has narrowed down its search for a partner to divest up to 50 per cent stake in the company, an announcement it made in November 2018.

Television TV Channels GECs
9X Jalwa launches Jalwa #10YEARCHALLENGE

MUMBAI: 9X Jalwa, the Bollywood hits music channel by 9X Media, has created Jalwa #10YEARCHALLENGE, a unique property that showcases the songs of Bollywood stars from past to present. Jalwa #10YEARCHALLENGE will feature stars such as Aamir Khan, Aishwariya Rai, Kajol, Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan,...

Television TV Channels Music and Youth
CNN meets the young Lionel Messi fan from Afghanistan who is now a Taliban target

In January 2016, a photo of young Murtaza Ahmadi went viral, thanks to his makeshift version of an Argentine football shirt of his idol Lionel Messi. The photo earned the child two autographed shirts, a signed football and a meeting with the footballer in Qatar 11 months later.

Television TV Channels News Broadcasting

Latest News

Load More

Sign up for our Newsletter

subscribe for latest stories