Star shelves plans to up stake in Tata Sky

MUMBAI: Star India Holdings, the Indian subsidiary of News Corp, has withdrawn its proposal to up its stake in the joint venture direct-to-home (DTH) company, Tata Sky.

This follows government‘s decision last month to defer Star‘s FIPB proposal to further invest Rs 3.24 billion in Tata Sky where it already holds a 20 per cent stake. had earlier reported that Star India had applied for clearance from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) to buy a 49 per cent stake in Tata Group’s investment firm TS Investments.

TS Investments, in turn, was to buy a 20 per cent stake in Tata Sky for Rs 3.24 billion. This would have effectively given Star India an additional 9.8 per cent stake in Tata Sky, increasing News Corp’s total holding in the DTH company to 29.8 per cent from its present 20 per cent.

Tata group holds 70 per cent stake in Tata Sky, while Singapore-based PE firm Temasek holds the remaining 10 per cent.
Meanwhile, What’s On India Media got the FIPB approval to raise Rs 55.7 million by issuing and allotting preference shares to carry out the business of uplinking a non-news and current affairs TV channel. 
Broadband services provider Tikona Digital Network also got the nod to enhance the FDI to 74 per cent by issue of compulsorily convertible debentures (CCDs) and equity shares to existing foreign investors and new foreign investors. Tikona will be able to raise up to Rs 11.42 billion.

Meanwhile, FIPB asked Maa Television Network to access automatic route to regularise the 20 per cent existing shareholding (18.60 per cent direct and 1.31 per cent indirect NRI holding). This would not have involved any FDI inflow.

Latest Reads
India, China to propel APAC, beat CAS Europe market share

APAC is expected to overtake the market share of Europe in future due to an increasing demand for digital TV set-up boxes in countries such as China and India. North America and Europe dominated the global CAS market in 2015. APAC region is estimated to mark a growth rate of 12.0 per cent CAGR...

Technology Hardware Set-top Boxes
India lucrative market for 4K UHD STBs: Grand View Research

Here’s a view on the demand for 4K or ultra high definition (UHD) set-top boxes (STBs) in India.

Technology Hardware Set-top Boxes
Infor appoints Dass as south Asian subcontinent V-P

Infor, a leading provider of business applications specialized by industry and built for the cloud, has appointed Ashish Dass as the vice president and managing director for the south Asian subcontinent. Infor software helps eliminate the need for costly customization through embedded deep...

Technology Software Applications
Siti & DishTV opt for Conax conditional access

The Essel group has been using Conax’s tech for sometime now for its Siti Network (earlier known as Siti Cable). Now the group has extended that partnership for another product for both Siti Network and DTH operator Dish TV India. This time it is for the cardless set top boxes that the two are...

Technology Hardware Set-top Boxes
Imagine Communications extends functionality of Selenio One unified transcoding platform to OTT

MUMBAI: Imagine Communications, empowering the media and entertainment industry through transformative innovation, today introduced a high-density adaptive bitrate (ABR) transcoding product built on Selenio One™, the company’s software-defined linear transcoding platform. Selenio One is designed...

Technology Hardware Components
DJI Makes Your Smartphone Smarter with the New Osmo Mobile

DJI, the world leader in creative camera technology, Thursday launched the Osmo Mobile, an extension for smartphones that turns them into intelligent, precision camera systems.

Technology Hardware Components
Prime Focus Tech gets funding from PE firm Ambit Pragma

MUMBAI: Prime Focus Technologies (PFT) – the technology offshoot of media services company Prime Focus - informed the Bombay stock exchange today that it had received its first round of funding from growth capital private equity fund Ambit Pragma.

Technology Software Applications
Three new products developed by C-DOT launched on its Foundation Day

Communications Minister Manoj Sinha today expressed the hope that 100,000 Gram Panchayats (GPs) will be connected through Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) by March next to set up a network infrastructure to serve the rural masses.

Technology Hardware Distribution
Genpact and BITS partner to build talent in the field of analytics

Genpact (NYSE: G), a global leader in digitally-powered business process management and services, today announced a partnership with premier technical education university Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) for offering training programs in the field of analytics.

Technology Software Middleware

Latest News

Load More

Sign up for our Newsletter

subscribe for latest stories